prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Memories of Union Station. Los Angeles.

In 1943 and 1944 I passed through Union Station several times. Union Station was built in 1939 and is said to be the last of the great train stations built in that era. It was impressive to this 18 year old soldier.



I was stationed at Camp San Luis Obispo. I was getting marine training at Morro Bay.  I could catch the train in San Luis and get off in LA which is about 30 miles from my home in Pomona. I remember one time I could not get a ticket so I snuck on the train and tried to hide from the conductor when he was checking tickets. Alas he caught me! I think that he just shrugged his shoulders.

The coffee shop was staffed by  "The Harvey Girls" who were made famous in a recent book. Later in a movie with Judy Garland. The Harvey Girls worked in most of the train stations in those days,




I was impressed. The Harvey Girls served a good meal. My last visit to Union Station was 76 years ago. On my upcoming trip to California I will go through the station three times. I will have time to remember and reminisce about my World War II trips through the station. I will probably take a couple of photos. How about a time lapse video?

Today is the 12th anniversary of the passing of my wife Jackie. I remember and reminisce every day.

2 comments:

  1. Great story and photos! My dad, also Leon Munson would have been thru there about the same time as a Marine...thank you for your service!
    As you reminisce about Jackie, I pray that you will be comforted by the only true comforter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences. I know that it doesn't always get easier. I hope your memories will be good ones on your travels, and I look forward to your photos and videos.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->