prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, August 18, 2014

(Widower 35) My corkscrewed esophagus caused my brain to bleed.

Let me explain. Hard swallowing caused by the corkscrewed esophagus caused me to pass out and hit the floor hard with my head. This hitting the floor damaged my brain and started it bleeding. This incident and the recovery took up most of the first half of 2013. And a good part of my recent widowerhood.

On January 25, 2013 I had trouble swallowing (almost the first swallow of the day).  I was standing and held on to the counter. I thought that as usual the feeling of passing out soon would go away. I was wrong. I passed out and awoke laying on my back. I did not feel any concern because there was no feeling of pain like a severe blow to the head should have caused. My brain was damaged and was slowly bleeding until I had a slight stroke two months later on March 24. John took me to the emergency room. An x-ray showed the bleeding. The next day a surgeon opened my skull and stopped the bleeding.

A couple of weeks later in rehab two nurses removed 38 staples and one stitch.

I spent about two weeks in rehab plus some time at home. I was a star at rehab.

It was good to get home. A year and a half later I feel completely recovered from the head trauma. I still have trouble swallowing. It seems to be getting worse. I may have to go and have my esophagus stretched. I am careful about swallowing and try to eat sitting down. 

Well that almost brings my notes on my life story up to date. I have covered various stories from birth to now. I hope to pull these notes from my blog archives, edit, and combine them into one volume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->