prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, April 19, 2021

World War II Fruit Cake. The old PrunePicker and his brother George Edwin Monson/



In 1942 I was 16. I was spending a few weeks with my sister Thelma in Weedpatch, California. I helped my Thelma make a fruit cake to send to our brother George. George was a Marine fighter pilot in the Pacific. George enlisted  some time before Pearl Harbor and was soon in the thick of the Pacific War.


Do you think that the Monson family was proud of George? We made a great big fruit cake. We wrapped it in a rum soaked cloth and mailed it off to the Pacific.

In 1944 I was 19. I was spending a few months as a Combat Engineer in the Pacific.
Out of the blue came this big delicious fruit cake from my beloved sister Thelma.! My sister Thelma won the Pacific War with her fruit Cakes. Thank you Thelma!












No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->