prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, December 9, 2019

I livd in a tent in a field of pineapples!



It was for a few weeks in 1944. The field of pineapples covered a hillside above Pearl Harbor. There were thousands of tents on those hills. We had ran out of barracks. It was an exotic place to this Pomona, California boy. I had never seen a  pineapple plant. My buddies and I would pick pineapples, take them into our tent, and butcher them with our bayonets. It was exciting. I had only experienced pineapple in a can. It was delicious. We stuffed ourselves.


In addition to tent camping in a pineapple field many important events (to me) took place in 1944.

I married Jacqueline Lois Ireton. We had been together for 63 wonderful years when Jackie passed away in 2007.

I sailed across the Pacific Ocean three times. My third trip was from Pearl Harbor in the Hawaiian Islands to Leyte in the Philippine Islands and took six weeks. On a fourth and last crossing in 1945 I sailed home from Korea.

July 20 was my 19th birthday. I was probably living in the tent.



On August 21, 1944 my troopship cross the equator.  After a grand ceremony I became a Shellback. See my card?


During the ceremony I kissed the belly button of the Royal Baby. (King Neptunes Court). They found a sailor to play the part of the Royal Baby. Her belly button had a thick coating of Vaseline and grease. What a lousy kiss!



Then we made a combat landing in the Palau Islands. While advancing up a jungle trail on Peleliu Island, with an explosive pack on my back, I was shot in both legs. Just above the knees. I like to point pit that the location of the wounds indicate that I was not running away!

You can see why I will always remember 1944. Married and shot in each leg. The marriage lasted great and the bullets are still in my bones.

5 comments:

  1. Whoa! '44 was quite the year! You were quite handsome-- no wonder you found such a lovely girl to marry. When you say you still have the bullets, are they inside or outside of you??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great story from your interesting past life. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love to read your memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a year! Thank you for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for everything you have done and still do!

    I found your blog by putting in a search for "The Forty Fools", my Dad, Mike Goonan, was one of the Forty Fools; he died a few months ago at age 95. My email address is judithannc.94@gmail.com, my name is Judithann Campbell.It would be such an honor to hear from you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->