prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Big excitement in my Genealogy Department!

Donna Sue my niece in Ventura sent me a family bible. Thank you so much Donna Sue! It is the Knowlton Family Bible. It was a 1870 Christmas present to my Mom's Grandfather. It is almost 150 years old. It its surely the oldest thing in my trailer. It has been well used. The three pictures below indicate some of the data that is contained in the Bible. I have to get the old photos in my tree. Also the data that I do not have.



My ordinary sized Bible is shown with the Knowlton Bible. It is 10 by 12 by 3 inches and weighs 9.4 pounds.


This photo may give a better impression of the size of the Bible.


3 comments:

  1. They did seem to make big ones. And family photo albums too. Heavy. I have one with what I suppose is a fat celluloid cover. I guess it was a pretty big deal to get one made up and they were objects of awe and serious consideration. And these days....well, pretty easy. Check Facebook or Instagram, and everybody can be on it......I'm not making a judgment. I truly don't know if one way is better than the other. All different.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to have to open a historical museum!!

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->