prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Two days of painful hobbling plus one day Gout attack!

I am just recovering from an interesting time with my body. I hate interesting times with my body. Coming down the steps from the bedroom in my fifth wheel trailer I slipped and fell hard. Really twisted my left hip and knee. Went on to swim class that morning and that night's basketball game. By then both hip and knee were so painful I asked my daughter Kerry for her crutches. (she had some from a hip operation)

The next night I developed a terrible pain in the top of my left big toe. (put a band aid on it so that it would not contact my covers).

The next morning I was due to give a blood sample to the VA Clinic in Monroe. I told the nurse that I would like to give the blood, get a flu shot, and also get a shot for the pain in my left big toe. She did the first two and directed me to wait to see a nurse about the big toe.

While I was waiting I suddenly realized that the painful big toe was from a gout attack. 20 or so years ago I had several painful gout attacks. I was directed to take a daily pill of allopurinol. Wonderful! no more gout attacks for twenty years. This recent attack only lasted about 24 hours. The pain went away. My knee and hip got over the fall. Very little pain is so nice.

I have an appointment with Dr Carter (VA) next Thursday.



9 comments:

  1. Haven't heard from you in a few days, hope all is well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All is well with hip and Knee. Gout went away in a day. In the future I was going to extra gout medicine. Wrong! Doc said that prolongs the attack. Best to not take allopurinol until gout is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dad used to occasionally get gout attacks, but a simple home remedy of baking soda and water guzzled would give him relief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but only a small glass, 12oz, of water with teaspoon of soda mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK...it's been a bit more than a week, so I'm writing. You're usually pretty regular in posting. I hope everything is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seem to be burned out. Have a guilty conscience about not blogging. But it is good to relax. Maybe I could cut back to one blog per week. I really want to do some genealogy and memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey. That would be fine. Take some time off. As long as your followers know, we should be well behaved. I hope.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->