prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Civil War Battle of Warrenton Junction, Virginia.

Warrenton Junction is west of Washington, DC. In 1863 Mosby's Raiders attacked a Union Force there and had them surrounded. Everything was going their way. Then the 5th New York Calvary came to the rescue of the Union troops. They surprised the Mosby's Raiders and killed many. The rest took off. Mosby was wounded.



With Mosby was John Munson. A boy of 16 or 17. He was favored by Mosby. He told an aide that he liked Munson to ride with him when he was planning a raid because Munson would not talk and disturb his thoughts.


Munson and Mosby.

Captain Frank A Munson was with the 5th New York Cavalry. I do not know if the cousins knew that the other was there. I wonder if they shot at each other. They knew after the war because it was in the literature about the war. I am sure that there were many Civil War battles with Munson/Monsons on each side. It would be an interesting subject to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->